Step 5: Partner Work/Group Work
Time: about 20 minutes
- Split your group in pairs of two students.
- Each pair work on a part of a cartoon.
- In pairs, describe your part of the cartoon. Take care that the other pair cannot follow your discussion.
- Have you finished? Explain your part of the cartoon to the other group members.
- Analyze and discuss its message in your groups.
- Taking the cartoon’s message into account, evaluate additional ways in which people can reduce e-waste. You are now allowed to look at the whole cartoon together. You are also allowed to use the internet for further research.
- Try to find solutions on an individual and societal level.
- Take notes because you are going to create a short 3 to 5 minutes podcast (speech, interview) in our next lesson in which you convince your audience to act.
The cartoon stands for/represents/is a caricature of…
The cartoon plays on the stereotypical view of…
…is exaggerated/stressed/symbolic for… …reinforces the cartoonist’s message that… The humour lies in the discrepancy/contrast/parallels/misunderstanding between…and…
I think that…/In my opinion…
However, think about…
For this reason,…
To sum up,…/In conclusion,…/ In the end,…/
Step 6: Plenum
Next Lesson: Step 7
In your groups, create a short 3-5 minute podcast (speech, interview) in which you convince your audience to act.
Plenum: Evaluation of Podcasts